I’m Rae Hoffman – a veteran affiliate marketer and SEO consultant – often referred to online by my “industry nickname” – Sugarrae. I assume you’re on this page because you want to know about me or the blog.
I created the Sugarrae blog in 2006 as the “professional” replacement to my personal blog which I’d shut down the same year. From the very beginning, the Sugarrae blog has often been controversial, never been apologetic and has always been of the “I call it as I see it” variety. The blog covers a variety of topics – affiliate marketing, SEO, social media, running an online business, rants, reviews and whatever else I’ve tried to share along the way.
I’m not able to blog as often as I’d like – I believe less in an “editorial schedule” and more in not blogging unless I feel I have something worth saying. I can’t promise you I’ll always be politically correct. I can tell you that at times I can be a bit abrasive for some. But the one thing I have always striven for since the day I started this blog is to be as honest as possible, as helpful as possible and as real as possible.
I’ve had a very successful career in online marketing, but it hasn’t come about without some hiccups. I don’t believe in luck – I believe in hard work. I believe anyone has the ability to achieve whatever they set their minds to, and you’ll find this blog often challenges people to demand – and go after – what they want in life.
The primary voice behind the Sugarrae blog?
I’m the owner of Sugarrae, the co-owner and CEO of PushFire and do various types of Internet marketing; search engine optimization, viral marketing, affiliate marketing, site auditing, link building strategies and tons of other little nooks and crannies of this business.
I run various affiliate and content websites – ranging from those in highly competitive areas to those in niche areas. I am also the co-founder and co-owner of MFE Interactive in addition to being the co-owner of Speedy Incorporation and am a co-founder and co-owner of It’s a WAHM Thing.
You can some of the various written interviews that folks have done with me on the web below:
- Rae Hoffman on local search at Wolf-howl.com
- Rae Hoffman interviewed at Performancing
- Rae Hoffman interviewed on SEOBook.com
- Rae Hoffman interviewed at ClickNewz
You can some of the various radio interviews I’ve done below:
- Rae Hoffman on the GoodKarma Radio Show
- Rae Hoffman on the SEO 101 Radio Show
- Rae Hoffman interviewed at Chicago SES 2009 by Webmaster Radio
- Rae Hoffman on the SEO Old Timers Roundtable
- Rae Hoffman as the special guest on the Weapons of Mass Marketing Radio Show
- Rae Hoffman on Affiliate Voices
As seen in
I’ve been mentioned in the following publications:
- Rae Hoffman in Online Media Daily
- Rae Hoffman in ZDNet
- Rae Hoffman in USAToday
- Rae Hoffman in Forbes
- Rae Hoffman in Inc. Magazine
- Rae Hoffman in WebProNews
- Rae Hoffman in The Register
- Top 100 Most Influential Internet Marketers of 2008
- Top Ten Most Influential Women in Canadian Social Media 2008
- Top 100 Most Influential Internet Marketers of 2009
- Turn Clicks Into Customers – Duane Forrester
- 50 Most Influential People In Blogging 2010
- Top 25 Most Influential People in Performance Marketing in 2011
I have profile listings with more information on the following sites:
Guest author gigs
I’ve written articles for the following publications:
- Rae Hoffman at Search Engine Land
- Rae Hoffman at Search Engine Watch
- Rae Hoffman at Sitepoint Magazine
- Rae Hoffman at Copyblogger
- Rae Hoffman at Feedfront Magazine
- Rae Hoffman on Marketing Land
- Rae Hoffman on Amex OpenForum
- Rae Hoffman on CopyPress
I’m a regular speaker at industry conferences including:
- Rae Hoffman at PubCon
- Rae Hoffman at Search Engine Strategies
- Rae Hoffman at Search Marketing Expo (SMX)
- Rae Hoffman at ASW and ASE
- More about Rae’s speaking gigs
I’m a proud born and raised Jersey Girl. I moved to Tampa, FL when I was 17 (in 1995) and lived there until 2004 when I moved to Guelph, Ontario, Canada. In late 2010, I moved to the Houston, Texas area where I currently reside.
I often refer to myself as a “White Collar Redneck”. I am always in jeans and cowboy boots, drive a Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi and while I listen to everything, my preferred music genre is country – hands down. I drink cheap beer (specifically, Coors Light), my favorite feature in my backyard is my fire pit, I could spend all day, every day in a boat on the lake and “muddin” is something I’ve actually done – and more than once. ;-)
I’m a mom to one angel and three gorgeous kids who are my lights and my strengths and am married to the most amazing guy on the planet.
(Photo credit goes to Lyndon Reid.)
I love to travel, love to gamble, am competitive as hell, never turn down a game of pool and football on Sunday is damn near religion in my household (as is rooting for the Bucs). I fly down to Tampa for at least one Bucs home game every year.
The general theory is that I’m really a guy. ;-)
I have a weird fascination with the mafia – real life stories for the most part and I know a weird amount of facts about American mobsters. I own a shelf of books on the topic – both fact and fiction (with a strong lean towards fact). My office walls are covered in movie memorabilia from Scarface, The Godfather and Boondock Saints – which as I’m sure you can guess are three of my all time favorite movies.
I have quite the affinity for tattoos. At the moment, I have five. A rose on my right arm, “YOLO” on the back of my neck (it stands for “you only live once” and I had it long before it became a fad tattoo for celebrities), my birth sign (Gemini) and the birth signs of my children on my left thigh, a Celtic knot on the outside of my right calf (two of my best friends having matching ones) and the Sugarrae logo on my right thigh (yes, for real). And I’ll definitely be adding several more.
I am also an avid supporter of the Houston American Heart Association and work to raise money each year for their Heart and Stroke Walk here in Houston in memory of my oldest son, who suffered a massive bilateral stroke as an infant.